Georgian State Choir
Leading chorus of Georgia, which serves for development and promotion of rich choral traditions. The repertory of chorus combines wide spectrum of a cappela and vocal-instrumental pieces that stipulates its intense concert activity.
The most important choir in our country – Georgian State Choir has been founded in 1947. In 1991 it was named after Niko Sulkhanishvili. In different periods of its activity the leaders of the choir were: George Khakhanashvili, Otar Taktakishvili, Jan Dumin (Latvia), Djansug Kakhidze, Guram Bakradze, Boris Pevzner (Russia), Givi Mundjishvili. The artistic biography of the choir includes hundreds of successful concerts performed in Georgia and abroad. Its repertory is very diverse and presents the master-pieces of Georgian and world composers. Especially should be noted: Bach “Christmas Oratorio” and 'Matheus Passions', Mozart “Coronation Mass” and “Requiem”, Beethoven Mass in C-Major and “Missa Solemnis”, Schubert Mass no.2, Verdi 'Requiem',Faure “Requiem” and Orff “Carmina Burana”. Also, the choir is a first performer of practically every important work composed by Georgian composers.
Since 2005 Georgian State Choir has been united into the National Music Center and in 2015 it joined Djansug Kakhidze Tbilisi Center for Music & Culture. At present the honored leader of the choir is Givi Mundjishvili and the chief conductor is Archil Ushveridze.
Georgian State Choir has very intensive concert activity, appears at different international festivals. Every year it is a participant of Tbilisi International Choir Music Festival, which has been founded by initiative of National Music Center in 2011 with the support of Tbilisi City Hall. Since 2015 it is a participant of International Music Festival “Atumn Tbilisi” held by Djansug Kakhidze Tbilisi Center for Music & Center. In December of 2016 together with Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra the choir had concert in Jerusalem Philharmonic (Israel), which was dedicated to 850th anniversary of famous Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli and has been conducted by Israeli conductor Amos Talmon.